NVIDIA GTC 2024 - JetsonHacks

Higher late than by no means. Again, in March, NVIDIA held the largest GTC ever! Sadly, I had a loss of life within the household, which minimized my go-to quick. I left earlier than my scheduled speech on Thursday. I apologize for my absence. I'm sure you perceive. For folks, I did get to be satisfied with the present. Thanks for introducing yourself!

Massive Time

Since quite a lot of that is "previous information" by now, I'll level out a few of my observations from the present. First, the convention had a different feel than the earlier (2019) one. The sheer variety of folks (estimated to be ~ 16.5K) put pressure on the assets of the San Jose Conference Center.

It felt like not less than twice the variety of folks because of the final one. The present has outgrown the venue. That is for several causes, the obvious being that NVIDIA is now valued at over a trillion {dollars}. It has reached a crucial mass, where all our monetary and know-how must concentrate.

One other huge level. It's the "present" half. Whereas Jensen Huang gave more keynotes than you could shake a stick at, NVIDIA cranked it up a notch. NVIDIA rented out a sports activities environment for the keynote, with rock live performance-worthy stagecraft.

AI

There were several mentions of AI in the present, in every sentence. What occurs when the tech advertising teams get rolling is a bit scary. There's no such factor as refined throughout many of these occasions.

Exhibit Flooring

When I used to be there, the exhibit hall was always jam-packed. There are many excellent websites to visit. There were two 'theaters' where teams would give lightning talks. Some were distributors; some were researchers. The talks could be ~ 10 minutes, simply sufficient to get a feel for a broad range of topics.

The exhibit grounds were divided into totally different areas. The sting computing space was where many of the Jetson crowds were situated. There was additionally a robotics space where much attention-grabbing work was being introduced. I had a nerdgasm once I noticed the Disney Analysis BD-X droids there:

I performed an in-depth analysis and guessed how they worked. Disney Imagineering held a session at GTC, which informed us precisely how they do! One attention-grabbing truth is that the droid's gait uses a reinforcement-studying mannequin developed on ISAAC. It takes an RTX4090 ~48 hours to create the gait mannequin.

There are two Jetson Orin NX within the droid—one in the head and one in the physique. This gives it sufficient computing power to handle some very interesting issues! In any case, they're research initiatives. Since GTC, these droids have been seen at Disneyland, working for a living. Folks, particularly youngsters, love these items.

Classes

There have been hundreds of periods, so I can't even start to tell you what was lined up. The beauty of periods is that you'll find a subject that you're curious about, a session about a,n,d have a fantastic overview of the place the state-of-the-art is in that topic.

I'll additionally point out that something that entails computation (nearly all science, know-how, and enterprise fields now) is represented. For example, I went to a session concerning the Sphere in Las Vegas, Nevada. They had been speaking numbers, and getting your head around is exhausting. For instance, there are ~ 166,000 audio systems within the venue.

The audio system beams audio to any given seat, implying that each seat in the home has an optimum audio experience. Getting the information to the right place in the community is an arduous process. The 50-minute present now enjoying is 14 petabytes (PETABYTES!) of uncompressed video and audio. They use NVIDIA switches to assist in the transfer of information around. Undoubtedly, it's enormous league stuff.
Many of the periods have been recorded and are obtainable on demand: https://www.nvidia.com/gtc/ Additionally, the extra in-style periods can be found on YouTube ( 25 of them as of this writing):

Bulletins

There have been many bulletins on the present. Right here, we'll deal with the Jetson-associated ones.

Blackwell

Blackwell is the name of the brand-new structure for NVIDIA GPUs. Like earlier generations, NVIDIA will be providing these in many configurations. We're still far off from all of the technical particulars. Still, the information center GPUs will probably be two dies related by way of a high-speed transport material in the identical package, much like the structure of Apple M3 Professional chips.

As you recall, NVIDIA canceled the Atlan era of Jetson. This year, they introduced the Thor era. This will probably be a Blackwell structure, with reportedly 6-10X the efficiency of the Orin line. This can open up quite a lot of new utility areas.

Robotics

The primary Jetson Thor chips will probably be for automotive. In addition, they introduced Challenge GROOT, a general-purpose basis mannequin for humanoid robots. GROOT will run on Thor, with what seems to be all the humanoid distributors (apart from TESLA) being on board. All that is tied along with ISAAC, after all.

There's a significant emphasis on digital twins. The idea behind digital twins is that you construct environments and robots in simulation that precisely replicate their actual-world counterparts. You practice the robots to work in that setting. Then, you deploy the educated fashions onto the real-world robots, and everything goes to plan.

There have been many real-world instances of working examples. Ultimately, this could save quite a lot of money and time.

Conclusion

GTC 2024 was pretty impressive. If you need inspiration, consider attending one of these occasions. Everyone seems to be there. There are lab periods where you can have any questions answered by the engineers who work on it day in and day out. It's definitely worth the funding.

If there may be one tip I've, it is best to go over the periods rigorously and discover ones that you find attention-grabbing. Planning is essential right here. There's mThere arestoony and shinies tshinyact. However, these may be enjoyable, too!

Back